Friday 15 April 2011

Cash Strapped Fridays - Feelin' Hornsea?


I've just been outbid on ebay in the last five seconds on a little Hornsea Jug and Pot. I feel sorry for the other bidder really as he or she was sitting comfortably with 15 minutes to go with a bid of £2 and I pushed them up to £10.50. Actually I'm quite glad I didn't win for two reasons. 1. because the last thing our house needs is another jug (more on my fine jugs coming soon!) and 2. I really don't need to spend a tenner on yet another item that will need dusting.I don't know much about Hornsea Pottery (I thought the village was in Kent but it turns out to be North of Hull!) although a quick search reveals a museum.Looking through the patterns the one that sticks out for me is Heirloom Brown... surely everyone's granny had some of this in their cupboard. The brown and orange design is just iconic. Even nicer is Bronte - which was the pattern on the little jug I didn't get.

More alarming is the Hornsea Fauna Range... super cute rabbits and fawns perched on log shaped vases - I ask you what is NOT to love about these??
There seems to be loads of Hornsea about but also lots of avid Hornsea collectors and I know that Jess over at Minimal is Boring loves it too so I don't think I want to set up in competition with her... she's probably plays dirty on ebay!

ps the happy end of this tale is that while I was writing this post I was bidding on a little Hornsea spice Jar and won! Chinasearch.co.uk tells me this pattern is Beaded Kitchenware. Love it!

2 comments:

  1. Well hellooo there I have just found this! Yes I do love a bit of Hornsea, particularly the bird ashtrays! My friend Kelly has a massive Hornsea collection, we should all get together one day to ooh and ahh over it! X

    ReplyDelete