Wednesday 23 March 2011

WORD OF THE DAY: Prugly: Pretty AND Ugly or just Pretty Ugly?


When they cleared Pete's mum's house we didn't keep much but these luscious items came home with us. Conch teapot and jug anyone?? A quick perusal on Ebay (search term: 'conch teapot' of course) shows 7 separate listings... one seller thinks they might even get £25 for just the teapot. The more realistic are listing at 99p. One reckons it's 'majorlica' - is that like majolica but from Majorca? I dunno if it is or not. I think it's just an earthenware seaside souvenir probably churned out in their millions in the 50s

I think if I saw this in a junk shop I would recoil in terror but because these came from Grannie's and because Pete bought them for her when he was about 12 I love them. Now if I can just find someone selling the matching sugar bowl...

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I'd recoil in terror too.
    Items with memories attached are great though.
    The question is... What was 12 year old Pete thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we never know what Pete is thinking... even after all these years.

    ReplyDelete