Saturday 16 January 2010

Hats off to not throwing stuff away


We have just moved into my Grandfather's house - he lived here from 1945 until Easter 2009. My mother and sister were born here and there are so many memories attached to the place. And yet now it is filled with all our many many many possessions it doesn't feel like that same house anymore. Which is a good thing. But every now and again I get little whiffs of the old place - pipe tobacco and gin mingling with old dust and ... what IS that?? It is the same house and at the same time it isn't.

Anyway the house, despite clearing so much stuff away and having to be horribly ruthless is still full of completely random things - he was a real hoarder. So I have decided to catalogue the nice things we find - watch out for some amazing typography along the way.

Abiding Ephemera? It's a contradiction in terms surely, but I seem to have a whole house full of it.

For your delectation today... A Tyrrell and Green paper bag. Long before the days when we had to call it John Lewis but still Never Knowingly Undersold.

3 comments:

  1. I remember going to Tyrrell and Greens for my school uniform in Southampton! amazing find :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) you are posting v. early and b) may steal this design for my next flyer. Keep writing - love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this actually brought a little tear to my eye, Katherine, but in a good, "happy memories" kind of way. As glad as we are to have you, Pete and Maisie as neighbours I do still miss Ron so it is nice to read this blog and see some of his history being kept alive.

    Dave "NextDoor"

    ReplyDelete